![]() | |||
| Shelder dips her left foot into the Pacific Ocean. Stay tuned for the equivalent photo when she gets to the Atlantic. |
Greetings,
Clamfolk! The first leg of my East My Friend tour has been a success! All three
of my West Coast kick-off shows (Mayne Island, Victoria and Salt Spring Island)
were packed and filled with some very magical energy. At the show in Victoria,
at my favourite house, Point Street House, all my friends stood around me as I
performed and sent vibes of positive blue energy to help protect me on my
journey. I will miss the West Coast for reasons such as this.
On Sunday I woke up very early in my friend’s cabin on DuckCreek Farm on Salt Spring and headed for the first ferry out of Long Harbour. Here’s
a photo of me on the ferry as we stopped at Mayne and I got to do one last wave
goodbye to my homeland.
I’m holding Monty
the Mayne School Marmot – a gift from the kids at the school, who will be
tracking my progress as I head east. Monty has traveled all over the world (but
I don’t think across Canada) so I have been tasked with taking him to the other
coast and back to the school eventually. Hopefully he will be just as clean
when he returns.
![]() |
| Shelder at Village Bay with Monty the Marmot |
So my first destination on Sunday was Golden Ears Farm in
Chase. I met up with my good friend Doug Koyama to convoy to Merritt. He was
heading up to Forest Grove to do a house concert there, so we met three times
on the way, before our highways diverged.
It was nice to see a good friend
before heading off into the world on my own. Or at least that’s how it felt,
until I got to the farm and immediately saw a familiar face – a girl named
Libby whom I had met once on Lasqueti and then again at ArtsWells. When I
arrived at the farm, they were sawing the hair off a big pig that had recently
been killed. They showed me the scalding bucket, which they used to help get
the hair off. I didn’t help with this process, but kept checking in and got to
see it hanging from a thing that looked like a large coat-hanger before it had
its head chopped off and was sawed in half.. Sorry, no photos of that,
unfortunately.
![]() | ||
| Shelder the Electric Clamfish with Doug Koyama in Merritt. Note the DSB in the background, as well as Dennis the Cow on Doug's shoulder. |
I performed at the farm at their beautiful yoga studio,
mostly for all the weary farmers, as well as my friend Zippy and her friend
Anne who drove out from Kamloops specifically for the show. It was quite a
relaxed show, which was just fine with me, as I was pretty tired from waking up
early and driving all day, as well as from doing 4 shows in a row already.
After I finished, I sat in the yoga studio sauna and had an excellent sleep before my long drive from Kamloops to Hinton. Some people might not think that that’s a very long drive, but for one person, it’s definitely a decent haul. I took numerous breaks though, the most notable being at Mt. Robson just before the Alberta border – here’s a photo of Dennis the Cow and Monty in front of the tallest peak in the rockies:
![]() |
| The pumpkin display at Golden Ears Farm in Chase. |
After I finished, I sat in the yoga studio sauna and had an excellent sleep before my long drive from Kamloops to Hinton. Some people might not think that that’s a very long drive, but for one person, it’s definitely a decent haul. I took numerous breaks though, the most notable being at Mt. Robson just before the Alberta border – here’s a photo of Dennis the Cow and Monty in front of the tallest peak in the rockies:
![]() |
| Monty and Dennis in front of Mt. Robson |
I emerged onto the other side of the Rockies fairly tired,
arriving at my friend Kathy’s house in Hinton to a tasty homecooked meal made
by her husband. It’s amazing how generous people have been already, helping me
in all sorts of ways as I make my way across the country playing accordion and
singing.
The drive from Hinton to Edmonton was fairly uneventful,
although I did stop at a lovely little park in Edson to have a bite to eat and
practice accordion (before my fingers got too cold) and also at the world’s
largest dragonfly in Wabamun.
I arrived at my aunt and uncle’s house in
Edmonton and my parents couldn’t believe I was still in one piece. I rested up
for a few hours before getting ready for my first Alberta show. As I drove to
the show, I ended up getting quite lost and I think I ended up in the part of
town where I used to live as a child. I recognized the complex where the video
store used to be, which is now a yoga studio. Anyway, I pulled over and my
phone re-routed me downtown. I honestly don’t think I’d be able to do this
journey without the help of my laptop and iPhone (at least by myself). It’s a
bit sad that I am so reliant on technology, but at least I’m using it for
something good and not solely for posting pictures of stuffed marmots in front
of landmarks.
![]() | |
| Monty in front of the world's largest dragonfly, Wabamun, AB |
I eventually got back on track and found Bohemia, where I
was scheduled as the headliner act as part of their Acoustic Tuesday. I was
reminded of the old punk venues my
sister and cousin used to go to when I was a kid in Edmonton (the kind of
places I dreamed of going to when I got older, before we moved out to a small
island in BC and I lost my desire to be part of the punk scene). I was the only
performer who didn’t play guitar, so I think I stood out in that way (although
it’s pretty normal to me because I’m the one doing it, I guess it is pretty
unique to be playing accordion, glockenspiel, recorder, trumpet and reciting
poetry). Perhaps some people might not like that, but so far the reception at
my shows has been very welcoming and positive. There wasn’t a huge crowd at
Bohemia, but those who were there were a great audience. It was also great to
see my dad’s cousin and his wife, who ended up being the last ones to leave!
Steve, who runs the place, was super friendly as well as all the other
musicians that played throughout the evening. Last night was a perfect example
of why I’m doing this trip – I met some great people, got to perform my music
in an interesting venue and I even made more money than I expected!
Speaking of expectations for this tour, I don’t really have
any, other than getting to all my organized gigs on time and eventually getting
to St. John’s. And I suppose if something happens that prevents me from doing
those things (like getting stuck in a snowdrift for 3 days or something) then I
shouldn’t be too upset because it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Although it’d
be nice to play to a packed house every night and make $200 from each show (or
more!) I know that won’t be the case. I’m not trying to be pessimistic and
belittle or devalue my art, but I do know the reality of being a touring
musician, so I don’t want to have massive expectations and then be met with
huge disappointments. I am doing this for the adventure and the experiences
that will come out of it, but it is also my job and I am taking it very
seriously as well. And really, I’m already amazed at how much I’ve done (since
I’ve never done anything like this by myself before), so even if every show
from now on is a complete bomb, I feel like it has already been a success.
Tonight I will be opening for my West Coast friends, Fish and Bird, who are also on a tour (to Winnipeg), releasing their fourth album,
Something in the Ether. If you don’t know who they are, they are very worth
checking out! We are playing at The Artery in downtown Edmonton, starting at
7:30pm. Here are my upcoming shows:
October 11 – d’Lish by Tish Café, Saskatoon (7:30pm), with
Cityrat Songster
October 12 – The Artful Dodger, Regina (7:30pm), with Ryan
Shotton
October 16 – The Neighbourhood Bookstore and Café (8pm),
with Somebody Language.
I’ll plan to update this thing once a week or so, so do
check in for updates. And if you know of anyone in the prairies, please let
them know about my shows! Also, I’ll be speaking with Shakti Ma again tomorrow
afternoon (Oct. 9) at 3pm on Salt Spring Radio, so if you like, you can tune in
here:
If you made it to the end of this post – thanks for reading
and for being interested in my tour!
Cheers,
Shelder the Electric Clamfish







No comments:
Post a Comment